John Weinbrenner came to Linglestown in 1820 to become Pastor of the Harrisburg Charge of the German Reformed Church. After six years he began to deviate from the doctrines of the church and was asked to leave. However, he continued to preach in private homes and schoolhouses. Soon, feeling a need for a formal house of worship, Weinbrenner’s followers entered into a land contract and began construction of a church building which was completed and dedicated on Christmas day in 1827. Having officially severed relations with the German Reformed Church, Weinbrenner was free to organize and name the church the First Church of God on June 29, 1829, located on the west side of Linglestown.
links to more information